NAVIGATING CENSORSHIP AND INSPIRING CHANGE
- Event Type: WOMEX 23 Conference Session
- Date: 28 Oct 2023
- Time: 15:15 – 16:00
- City/Area: A Coruña
- Venue: Conference Room 2, Palexco
- Country: Spain
- Event Host: Piranha Arts
- Yalda Yazdani: Chair, Transmusikale e. V. (Iran/Germany)
- Samin Ghorbani: Transmusikale e. V. (Iran/Germany)
- Dr. Aida Shirazi: Iranian Female Composers Association (Iran/USA)
The event titled “Voices Unveiled: Female Singers in Post-Revolutionary Iran – Navigating Censorship and Inspiring Change” is scheduled as a session within the WOMEX 23 Conference. It aims to shed light on the profound impact of political discourse on the role of women, particularly musicians, in Iranian society. Since the 1979 Revolution, women’s status underwent a significant transformation, affecting their participation in music.
Key Discussion Points:
- The Revolution of 1979 led to changes in the status and roles of women in Iran.
- The Islamic government’s rise prohibited solo performances by female singers in public spaces.
- Women singers found alternative outlets in underground and illegal settings.
- Strategies employed by female singers to overcome censorship will be explored.
- The role of female singers in the “Woman-Life-Freedom” social-political movement will be discussed.
Chaired by Yalda Yazdani, who represents Transmusikale e. V., and featuring speakers Samin Ghorbani from the same organization and Dr. Aida Shirazi from the Iranian Female Composers Association, the session aims to delve into the struggles, creative efforts, and impact of female singers in Iran’s evolving socio-political landscape. Their experiences offer insight into resilience, creativity, and the pursuit of artistic expression in the face of significant challenges.